30 October 2009

What are you gonna be for Halloween?


Sunrise in Kisubi
_____________________________

Just got back from Lifeskills training in Kampala. It was a week with the other volunteers in my group and our counterparts. We played tons of games and learned how to incorporate these sessions into basically any part of our peace corps service. I think this is one of the peace corps programs i am most excited about. It seems like such a positive way to work for all sorts of development~

Some of the big discussions we had were about the spread of HIV, stigma & discrimination, peer pressure, positive discipline, self esteem and goal setting. It was very helpful to hear the ugandan perspective. It made me realize why some of my ideas fall flat on their faces. And i think they appreciated hearing our perspectives. It was a safe place to exchange ideas and thoughts and i feel like we all tried our best to be honest and respectful. It was tough at times. Specifically when some of the men asked why americans couldn't accept that women were property. I think they were semi joking.

We had a halloween shindig one evening and we just danced the night away in silly costumes. I was part of an 80's punk band. I think all the costumes took a back burner to the dancing! Most of our group (the volunteers who came feb 14, 2009 a.k.a. "the valentiners)are girls and all of us really like to cut a rug. It was a blast.

I was thinking of family dances at home! Stefan at first not wanting to dance, then finally caving in and wanting to dance ALL the time..... Good Luck Quag with the meet. It sounds like you're traveling all over the place! And i bet you're taking pictures for me...
Maybe you'll end up visiting that beanie bean way up north! Keep up the good run quag, enjoy the race... i'll be thinking of you and sending you happy happy thoughts!

________________________

Webale nnyo for the packages! I just got tuna fish and coffesmate flavoring from the Castillos! I can't wait to go home and drink some coffee... And there was a gorgeous drawing from Casiana that i'm going to hang on my wall.
Tia! Lucas! Vicente! Thanks for the photos of home!!! I love them and i cant stop giving you guys kisses on the pictures. And the book, webale jaja wange!! Thanks welita bagita, i read it a long time ago and look forward to starting it again. "The Power of One." Thanks tia for the cute notecards and thank you Tia Vita for the nice note! Awesome stickers matre~ Muah muah muah! I love you all and really appreciate your thinking of me. It really feels nice to open these gifts from home and i hope you know they bring me lots of joy. Just reading your handwriting is a gift~

__________________________

To my cute little brothers and cousins.... i miss you all and smile to myself thinking of ya'll and what shenanigans you must be up to these days.

_________________________

What are you guys gonna be for halloween?

4 comments:

  1. Nt Celeste- We are so glad you are enjoying your packages! We will stay home and pass out candy and admire all the costumes! What did you dress up as for your celebration?Lots of Love from the Penny Family Take Care Mija- Love TIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really am grateful to be able to see your pictures from Falconland!
    the sunset is beautiful!
    and i would love to have it painted on my wall~
    what a wonderful sight to start a day!
    games to learn how to teach life skills???
    sounds familiar,
    four little monkeys jumping on the bed...
    my favorite, mother may i? :O
    okay, i'll stop.
    it sounds as if your 'safe' place brought much needed exchange for many willing minds ~spirits, and hearts~
    new ideas, new days, new energy
    maybe you all should send a list of the games
    with directions of course,
    to the next peace talks
    DANCING! how fun~
    do i need to send the cowboy boots?
    you 'valintiners' know how to celebrate those holidays...dancing the night away~
    i do miss those spontaneous, 'break loose'
    dances we would have :)
    i think you should take a picture of Casiana's drawing and post it, so we can all enjoy!
    mija, it is always great to get a peek into your Ugandan life~
    thanks for taking the time, to share
    te quiero tanto, con carino, be good
    tu mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. i forgot to answer your question!
    a mother from the 'hood'
    it works well~

    ReplyDelete
  4. ayy little mom, Hi leste!!! you talked about me in your blog! I did run very well and I got your text after the race, it made me smile. I was Tom Cruise in Risky Business, where he dances across the floor. So I made it to the Regional team so I still have weeks of practice. How are you? i miss you like crazy. I have been writing constantly, and thinking more than breathing. i love you. i love you. i love you

    ReplyDelete