23 October 2009

Tour of Jinja





At Bujagali Falls and a view of Kampala
_________________________________________

I left with the St. Theresa P5 class around 7:30. After tons of traffic we finally began our tour at the sugar factory. It was an amazing jumble of metal, heat, sweet smelling steam and shouting men. At the beginning of the tour they asked if anyone was afraid of loud machines or if they had asthma they would have to stay behind. "I'm not afraid" thought Celeste. Then we started climbing rickety (to me) metal stairs and walking over high,holey metal walkways. I was scared but trying not to "look" scared. It didn't work though, cause the teachers kept asking "are you scared celeste?" and "nothing to fear, nothing to fear!"
We each (5 teachers, 90 students and myself) got a heaping handful of sugar at the end of the tour.

Then we went to a factory where they make clothes and we got to see the process go from raw cotton to nice cotton sheets. There was cotton floating everywhere so we were sneezing and the ladies all covered their hair. They told me i didn't have to cover mine since i washed my hair every day.

Then it was off to the mattress factory. They showed us the chemical process they use to make the foam mattresses everyone uses here. Then we each got a piece of foam to take home. They gave me one shaped like a heart :)

After the factory tours we went to the source of the Nile and then to Bujagali Falls. They were beautiful and loud and rushing. There were men who jumped into the falls with just a jerrycan. Hmm..

A long day, but full of excitement. The girls were great. They were trying to explain all sorts of things to me, as though they'd been there a million times, and it brought big smiles to my face.

_______________________________

Just received some things from my momma, carrie, langela, martin and nate. Thank you so much for thinking of me.. I haven't opened the packages/letters yet cause i'm trying to learn patience! (Okay, so i opened one...)
Love

3 comments:

  1. Mija! ~ your field trip sounds as if your day was full, and also of smiles! okay, a couple of cringes...you know from here too, just reading about the "high, holey metal walkways" You had me at "high"!
    Thanks for the picture of Kampala. This north american had visualized it much differently. What? no cotton sheet to take. Did you think of your buelita, who use to pick cotton? if you left with any, be sure and send her a piece. You know she would love it!
    A piece of foam shaped like a heart,
    what a kind momento! It should remind you not only of your field trip,
    but of all the people who love you~
    thun, thuran, thun, thun~which one? :O
    gracias for the pictures and the stories~
    it brought a big smile to my face, and heart!
    kwagala tanto, con carino, be good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Celeste!
    Hope you do not mind my posting another recipe on this last blog. I wasn't sure if you would go to search for new recipes on your older post.
    How about rice with pineapple?
    In a pan with 2tbsp of olive oil, or butter
    saute about 1/4 cup onions -diced
    with 1/3 cup celery- or carrots
    -diced or grated
    cook till tender
    add a cup of rice, stir with the veggies
    add 1 can chicken broth, 1/2 tsp ginger,
    and soy sauce, if you have any.
    bring it to a boil, stir it only a few times--remember you do not want atole.
    after it has come to a boil, lower the flame and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
    take off the flame and add 1/2 to 1 cup
    diced or crushed pineapple.
    mmmm. if you want, you could add--after it starts to boil--cut up chicken
    (toast in olive oil first)
    oohh, you could add peas!
    hasta luego cociniera
    con carino, be good

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi little slugs, how are you? I am doing well. I am in the MET (cafeteria) until 445. I just finished watching a movie with some people. I then have to study study study, then head home probably, go to sleep, and do it all over again. Its not bad thing doing it all over again when its fun! I love fun. Hows the continent of Africa? Any lions yet?? The Ghost in the Darkness?! Im listening to Dean Martin. I wrote a new poem, i put it on my facebook. Everybody Loves Somebody....i love you

    -one love

    ReplyDelete