12 February 2009

Just Before the Two Day Travel Adventure

Today began with an adventure at DFW. Since i arrived 5 hours before my re-scheduled departure, i had plenty of time to explore the airport. I went for a ride on the train, meandered down moving walkways, and tried to get some sleep. Since my mind was racing and i couldn't seem to find a comfortable way to sleep in a hard plastic airport chair, i ate some breakfast instead.
Then, just before my flight starts boarding and i'm thinking of "the future" and the scary things those words can conjure up, who taps my shoulder but an old family friend. (Mr. Butler) "Celeste! How are you, where are you off to today?" And that just made my day, my week, my trip. We were able to talk for a while and share updates on our families. Before he left i asked about the price of meals on the plane ( i am an unexperienced DFW traveler) and couldn't even believe it when i was handed a granola bar and tuna sandwich. He had made an extra sandwich for the day. If that's not sharing happiness i don't know what is.
After a nice flight i made my way to staging where i met the other Uganda volunteers. It was fun getting to know the other people i will be spending lots of quality time with.
And tomorrow our traveling really begins. So wish us luck! I'll be thinking of everyone back home with a full heart.

5 comments:

  1. that's so cool, celeste! i am so glad to hear that you got off to a great start...i am thinking of you as you travel! GOOD LUCK!!! :)

    can't wait for the next update!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good morning! many, many hellos, hugs, and prayers, from dallas. Mr. Butler! wow. how did he recognize you without the other 20 inches of your hair? What a treat~ homemade food at an airport~ a sign of good things to come...breakfast just isn't the same without you! you may come back and find a slimmer me. i hope your drive to JFK is memorable so you can share the 'etchings' later. con carino ~ be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Mija- I'm so glad you made it off okay. We will continue our prayers for you! Lucas says hello and he already misses you. Take Care- Love you lots
    TIA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola chica bonita!! Sorry I didn't respond earlier! MICHAEL BUTLER!! That is nothing short of amazing...what a sweet man and a true gift from God. I can't believe how God works his magic in such beautiful ways...you are so blessed. I miss you so much already, but my prayers for you help me get through!!

    We love you and send you hugs!!
    Monica and Mike

    ReplyDelete