18 February 2009

Just before Training

I am safe and sound in Uganda, enjoying the warm weather and beautiful green colors that are all around. We have had lots of mini-training classes on different topics that have all been very helpful for our transition. We have all had survival Luganda lessons and we are all trying our best to practice as much as possible. Wasuze ottyonne? Bulungi, atte gwa?

We start our homestay tomorrow in a new town and thats also when our true training begins. I think so far the lessons have stayed very general and just introductory. It has been very fun/interesting to learn language, medical and cultural information. Lots of stuff to absorb but they give it to us in small doses.

Today we are out and about in the big city, trying to pick up some extra things before arriving at our homestay family's home. What a busy big city! Lots of shops, motorcycles (boda bodas), taxis and people walking around. I'm pretty sure i was wide eyed coming into the city and seeing all the hustle and bustle.

One thing that is striking to me is the color of the hills, trees and plants. I wish i could paint the right picture of their color green. Of course in the city there is quite a lot of development, so the hills are spotted with homes and clay colored dirt roads; full of rich and beautiful colors. The sky is large and blue and full of cotton ball clouds.

Once training starts communication is hard to come by, but i will be just fine and dandy and busy so don't worry if i don't write something for the next two months. Hopefully i can though!
My current goals:
1. Speak Lugandan as much as possible!! Nze Celeste, nva Texas mu America.
2. Learn how to make as much delicious Ugandan food as possible. MMMmmm, there is some serious eating going on here, and all of the meals are oh so tasty.
3. Absorb as much training material as possible...

I miss you all and wish you were here to experience this amazing country and culture with me. Maybe you could visit... boy would that be great! ;)
All my love
to you and you and you
XOXO

6 comments:

  1. buenos dias!(don't forget your spanish). sounds like all is more than well, including the food. Descriptions!!! Since we can not be there to enjoy, tell us what you are feasting on~maybe I can learn how to cook it too. Seems like there are not enough crayolas in the box here in the US of A. I look forward to seeing pictures of the hills, cities, homes,oh~ and yes, you too!!! Enjoy your first day 'on the job' and know you have already made a difference.~ con carino, be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. celestial....im glad to hear that you made it safely and that you are enjoying the beginning of your big adventure! enjoy the yummy food and dont forget to take lots of pics...we are all going to be very anxious to see them when you return! ceci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celeste- happy to know you made it in OK. Sounds like beautiful scenery. Lucas already misses you and says he'd like to visit. Welit sends her LOVE and PRAYERS and Tio Vincent says to take it all in for him! Take Care- I'll be waiting for my Ugandan Dinner when you come home! I Love You Mija~~~TIA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slugaaaa we were at church and someone almost sat by me and i had a runny nose and mom didnt have any tissue!!!!! SLUGAAAAA!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today is your Birthday! I can't believe you're not here. I hope that you had a great day and that you were able to have cake! Happy Birthday Celeste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did have a great birthday, complete with a snickers that i had saved from JFK.
    Sorry i wasn't there quag..
    Tubba, where are you?!!
    Hi tia and tio vicente and lucas! Hows basketball?
    Hola welita bagita!
    I miss you all !
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete