27 April 2010

Very Small View into Country-Wide Problems

Mom, you asked why Uganda has such a problem with malaria and i think a lot has to do with corruption. There is a lot of money put into this country from many times many aid organizations. Malaria should be wiped-out by now and its not. I'd like to get more information before writing on this public space, but i wanted to share a small instance of corruption that's just a pinhole into the bigger picture.
__________________________

Police woman pulled us (Amanda fellow PCV and our Ugandan driver friend) over on Makerere Hill* and asked the driver for his permit. The driver had two permits, in case the police ever ends up keeping one, and he politely handed one of them over.

The policewoman inspected the truck we were in and said that one of the tires looked damaged. Because this damaged tire could cause traffic accidents, she was going to charge him a 50,000 USh** fine.

He asked her for forgiveness while Amanda and I watched and tried to appear appropriately contrite and harmless. She said there was nothing to forgive and there were two options: he could sign the receipt for the 50,000 USh fine or he could wait for the actual police to come and take him to jail for refusing to cooperate. (I love the concept of freedom and choice. Its our choice to sign for a fine we don't believe we deserve or choose to be hauled off to jail for an offense we also refuse to believe is an acceptable consequence. Same in the U.S.) Except HERE, after Amanda and I said that 50,000 USh was a veeery high fine and after Amanda also asked for her to show some forgiveness, the traffic woman said alright. Since the nice young (white was not explicitly stated) woman asked, she was going to let the driver go.. But could she have a little something for lunch.
"A bottle of water?" asked the driver.
"No, I'm not asking for a bottle of water" the traffic woman said, "just something.."
Where upon the driver slipped her "something." And we were free to continue on our way!

_____
*near the famed Makerere University, at one time the best higher education system in Africa until the Amin Regime in the 70's.

** 50,000 USh is about 25 dollars but its a lot of money and you should really see some of the other ancient jalopys on the roads here. In comparison, our old truck looked like it just rolled off the factory lines.

4 comments:

  1. hey leste, I can't even imagine the situation. I wish I could hear more of your stories. I guess one day I can read the journal of your life. I know I have been in most of it, but I wish I knew you better. I love you 'leste. Hopefully one day the world will be better than the day it was made, even for a second, just for one second, let there be peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh corruption. We never escape it do we? Today I was at the police station getting a report and at the end the man asked me if I wanted to give him anything. Really? Give him something for doing his job? No way. I took my report from his hands and walked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i sigh with sadness,
    and i inhale hope
    because
    you both spoke up!
    for someone who needed help.
    and for the driver,
    for a while,
    there was goodness~
    which he could carry with him
    much longer than money.
    "Speak out for those who cannot speak,
    for the rights of all the destitute
    Speak out, judge righteously,
    defend the rights of the poor and needy."
    proverbs31:8,9

    ~living it!

    thank you both for trying to educate
    as many people as possible on the prevention of malaria!

    con tanto carino, be good~

    ReplyDelete
  4. just to let you know,
    i am smiling
    extra
    just for you
    today
    ~if you're happy
    and
    you know it
    CLAP YOUR HANDS!!!
    lots of love from the OC
    con carino, be good

    ReplyDelete