14 April 2010

Parasite

it was small and grody.
I'm not sure if i should share this information with the world. (ha, i think about 20 people read this.)

---STOP reading now if you have a sensitive stomach---

Recently, i've thought i stubbed my toe at some point (not uncommon for this one) and the tip of my toe had accordingly turned semi black. This morning I was washing laundry with my friend Lydia. My toe had been hurting worse than usual so i asked lydia what i could do to help reduce the pain. She took one look at my soap covered foot and said, "Eh! Baba Cele, what is this? You have a jigger!"

She called everyone over to look at my jigger-ed toe and they all said it was "so big!" At first they thought i should go to the nurse but it turned out one of the ladies has an expertise in parasite removal. They procured a safety pin(that was sterilised) and told me they were ready for surgery. I was fascinated and told them, "first wait", i had to get my camera to take some snaps of this tiny insect that had burrowed into my toe.

I'll spare you the play-by-play of how they extracted it, but it was great. If you're curious, look up the Chigoe flea online. I'm kinda worried i'm grossing people out. I wanted to upload one of the pictures i took, but i'll restrain myself.

This was definitely a "different" post... Promise my future posts will follow the tamer thread i've followed so far...

5 comments:

  1. leste, I just looked it up in Google Image, I am now ready to give surgery for anyone that needs it. I'm a full pledge doctor. I'm in bio class. I'm tired. Hungry. I should've wore my dark jeans. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste!!!
    ouch.
    is there anyone left out there
    with a weak stomach?
    don't most people have a tv?
    except us : )
    for the sake of 'numbers'
    there is no mercy.
    well, i have not seen Sesame Street
    in quite a while.
    i followed in Stefan's footsteps~
    and googled.
    ouch AND yick!!
    let's all say SANDALS!!!
    and
    'different' is okay
    lots of hugs and kisses,
    con mucho carino, be good

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm always wearing sandals, that's how they say i got it, from not wearing closed toed shoes and walking through the village. So went to owino and got myself a pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how 'smart' are socks with sandals?
    or maybe it would be too hot...
    in most of the pictures i have seen
    EVERYONE is wearing sandals.
    i will send you some cellophane wrap.
    mi amor. be good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just wanted to let you know
    there may be more than 20
    who read your blog,...
    your toe,
    and it's 'freeloader' aka, the jigger
    have celebrity status!
    ;=O
    love you!
    stay well, be good

    ReplyDelete