28 February 2010

Sunday Night


St. Theresa from a neighboring hill
__________________________________________

This past week was kinda busy. In between life skills classes and the rain were meetings, p.e. class, english class, guitar, going to the market for food, washing clothes, lesson planning and cleaning house.

How the day can be so long sometimes shocks me awake. When our lives are so short. Its like a mini-miracle. Hehe, is there such a thing as a mini-miracle matre? prolly not. The joy of more time. As a time conscious american i'm happy when there's more time. Then bored when its too much time. But these days, here in uganda, there's just time.

-time to sit and drink tea
-time for NGO's to develop
-time for backpedaling development
-time for workshops
-time for cultural exchange
-time for personal reflection
-time to wait in traffic
-time to wash clothes by hand
-time to greet every person you pass on the way to work

I like the feeling of this open time, I don't think i had it before. Especially since i was in school. My entire days were blocked.
Mornings: School
Afternoons: Work
Evenings: Homework
That's definitely still true for Ugandan students, but i wouldn't say the same about most adults in the semi-village area i live in. An example: if it rains in the morning, it means it's time for them to plant and not go to work. I know the same is true for me as a volunteer. My work centers around everyone else and no one i know has a definite schedule. I'm starting to like that.

How do you think you would feel coming from american time to ugandan time? I struggled. I'm struggling. But i'm feeling so much better these days. I think cause it feels like home now.

3 comments:

  1. yes!
    mija, there are/could be 'mini' miracles~
    they are just 'shorter', not any less greater!
    'popping' into our lives, like bubbles!
    drawing our attention,
    in the most unexpected moments,
    propagating joy!
    ~time~
    wow, just talking about time,
    twice, with two different people,
    this weekend.
    i will share the shorter versions:
    we spoke about
    the giving, taking, and using of time...
    we were talking about how Christ took little,
    of his time,
    gave much, of his time,
    and made excellent use of His time,
    in prayer,
    in fellowship,
    in sharing meals,
    in relaxation,
    certainly not following
    the pharisee's 'schedule'
    and we spoke of the present,
    our refusal so many times to live there.
    choosing to ignore it,
    believing somehow 'tomorrow' will be better,
    so many minutes, hours are lost.

    How would i feel?
    i am sure i would struggle also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, mom, mom... (i'm saying that in stefan's voice.) I know, i can't believe how much time people are capable of giving. Jesus..! Hahah.
    I read this in the Magnificat that Welita sends me... course its also in the bible... (hah)

    "For he says: In an acceptable time i heard you, and on the day of salvation I helped you.

    Behold, now is a very acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation"

    St.Paul to the Corinthians 5:20-6:2

    I like that.

    I read a book called The Gospel According to Jesus Christ. I liked that too but i didnt understand it very well. Could you and the boys read it? The ideas were fantastic and confusing. I'd love to hear what you guys think of it.

    Love you matre.
    p.s. could you send me andes mints? just a couple.. =)

    Bb

    ReplyDelete
  3. word tennis anyone?
    ayyy, the youth of today... ; -)
    you all are great!
    new energy, fueled with a spirit of giving
    ~what it is all about,
    giving/living love, letting go of hatred.
    i agree, i really like this verse,
    "...now is a very acceptable time;
    behold, now is the day of salvation"
    hope, joy, peace!
    "i've got that joy, joy, joy!
    down in my heart"
    sing a song for me,
    wishing you a 'smiley' day!
    con carino, be good

    ReplyDelete