19 December 2009

I've Been Lost






Snaps of a Murchison Park Adventure
___________________________________________

Been a while since posting. When i don't see one of my Ugandan friends in a while they say "You've been lost." or "Obuuze."

Merry Christmas guys. Its nice and warm here. Doesn't feel like the holidays, which is good and bad. Its not texas cold so there's no bundling up and drinking warm chocolate milk. But theres also not commercial pressure to shop til you drop and thats a wonderful feeling of freedom!

I went to Murchison Park, in the northwestern part of Uganda. And it was such an adventure. An adventure i would be more than happy to re-do if anyone out there would like to come and visit me in this green green country. You're most welcome!(as they say here.)

I've made a new friend named Valentino. He's five and talks to me non-stop in Luganda. I try to follow the conversation as best as possible, but most times i have to resort to making the agreement/disagreement/shock/amusement sound i think he's looking for. He's such a happy little boy and Pauline's new best friend (yes, i'm a little jealous.)And whereas Pauline was very shy when she first met me, never ventured too far into my house and would fidget anytime i got too close to her, Valentino is an explorer/adventurer and talks to me like we've known each other forever (in Luganda unfortunately.)I've really enjoyed playing with those two recently.

5 comments:

  1. Ah Celeste. I love the pics! They look vaguely familiar. Any ideas why? I hope you have a safe trip to Egypt and capture lots of your experiences with that great camera:) I miss you. I must admit, it feels much more like Christmas now that's it's below zero and there is lots of snow. Give a kiss to both Pauline and Valentino. I'll see them soon. Until next time my dear mukwano...

    ReplyDelete
  2. snaps?
    they are poster perfect!
    it feels as if you could 'hear' the waterfall
    how close were you to the elephants??
    oh my gosh!
    any spottings of john wayne? ;O
    ayy, your mother...
    amazing, and beautiful pictures~
    my favorite,
    is the last one.
    *muah*
    and,
    welcome back.
    being 'lost' can be good for the soul.
    'retreating' to 'refresh'
    ~Valentino!
    how did you meet this little guy?
    Pauline, shy...
    Valentino, adventurer...
    this little duo sounds a little familiar...
    be ready.
    well, Advent is nearing the end
    and as we continue our wait
    for the celebration
    of Christ's birth,
    and the joy filled hope
    of His return
    my heart, once again,
    fills with gratefullness
    on our blessings,
    with the gifts
    placed daily in our lives,
    the smallest usually bringing
    the greatest joy
    and as i pause to wonder
    what i could give in return~
    i think of our heavenly mother
    as she gazed at her baby son
    with nothing to give Him
    than her love
    ~ was this not,
    many years later
    what He asked of us.
    "Love one another."
    and Mary lived His Father's word
    by saying "yes!"
    not because she understood what would happen
    but, because she loved God.
    you are, because of love~
    my love for you began
    before i ever held you
    or gazed at you mija.
    so know
    even though i may not be holding you
    or seeing you this Christmas,
    i am loving you~
    in the spirit of Christ
    and as a mother
    con mucho carino, be good. tu mama~

    ReplyDelete
  3. well since mom is taking up all the space!! haha just kidding. Slugs dont forget about me, your number one traveler!!! i miss you and dont worry little leste. i love you sooooo much. did you know that?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Celeste- So glad you're back! Wow Valentino and Pauline- they'll keep you busy. Feliz Navidad and a Happy New Year filled with many Blessings.(We'll miss you at welita's) All our Love- La Familia Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am holding you in my heart,
    bundled in with
    javier, stefan, and martin~
    celebrating
    the birth of our savior
    who binds us all
    as part of the living vine!
    Feliz Navidad!
    con mucho amor y carino mija, be good.

    ReplyDelete