16 November 2009

Expectations


Girls decorating their poetry on my front porch
_______________________________________________

I thought that i didn't have any expectations, but i was wrong. They were lying there quietly in the back of my mind only to surface during the most frustrating moments of service.
I wanted to share some of them with you.

1. I expected to live in modest housing without running water or electricity. My house is incredibly nice and very "western" with plumbing, lights and yes i have tiled floors.
2. I expected to have trouble communicating with home but there are internet cafes all over kampala, not to mention right next to where i work.
3. I expected to be on my own, without any american support system but I'm close to the city where many foreigners live and work AND i have some great PCV friends who live nearby. One amiga even works with me at the same Primary Teachers College.
4. I expected to miss people like crazy. So far, that one's right on the mark.
5. I expected to have plenty, if not overflowing amounts, of work to do. The work is "there" i just have to go out and get it.
6. I expected to be more motivated. I think the problem i'm facing with motivation is that i feel overwhelmed with the responsibility. There are up and down feelings of inadequacy, determination, melancholy and confidence. I'm working on self encouragement; "Si se puede" and stuff like that.

Besides what i did expect, i didn't expect so many other wonderful things that surround me now. So i'm thankful for that!

6 comments:

  1. buenos dias!
    what beautiful smiles!
    from you giving your time,
    and self.
    expectations?
    daily.
    and has always been,
    part of the human spirit.
    our savior was expected
    to be someone of 'power',
    by man's standards.
    someone 'rich',
    by man's standards.
    His beginnings were humble,
    He lived among those who
    were hungry for guidance,
    ~they were sheep without a shepherd~
    He listened, spoke, ate, laughed,
    got frustrated,
    and gave Himself.
    He lived and gave His love every day.
    you are not alone
    in the emotions,
    up and down feelings...
    you just happen to be 14 inches away~
    and i am sure you did not expect
    to touch, love, enjoy so many people!
    you are right on target mija,
    "wonderful things that surround me NOW"
    you are on "Holy ground",
    in God's presence,
    wherever and whenever
    so JOY!
    and THANKS!
    to such a daily gift.
    kwagala tanto!
    muah, muah, muah
    con tanto amor y carino, be good :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dear Celeste from Texas, You do not know me, but I read any Peace Corp blogs that I can find. You see our son, Zach, left in August to serve in Uganda in the Peace Corp. He does not have good access to the internet (but he does have a cell phone and we call him once a week - Which is better than I expected.)
    I just wanted to say thank you for your love and service to our Lord. I enjoyed your post and your poem immensely. You have a beautiful soul. Thank you for sharing it. God bless and keep you.
    Mindy Bagley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celeste, much love from Philip (from Texas)!

    "I think the problem i'm facing with motivation is that i feel overwhelmed with the responsibility. There are up and down feelings of inadequacy, determination, melancholy and confidence."

    Perhaps think about it this way: Can you solve every problem in the world? No. Can you solve every problem in Uganda? No. Can you make an incredible, noticeable difference in the lives of many Ugandans? Yes! And you're already doing it! You are the only person I know doing something even remotely so incredible.

    Remember that everything can be broken down into manageable tasks. Focus on the pebbles and ignore the mountain... if you take care of the pebbles then the mountain will follow.

    Stand tall Celeste, and follow your heart. You can do this... you are doing this =) Thank you Celeste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. after we spoke today
    my thoughts were on javier,
    missing his assesments,
    on life, on us...
    getting back to work,
    i took the box of light bulbs
    out of the truck,
    and a paper fell to the floor,
    i picked it up and turned it around~
    there was javier ~ grinning.
    a picture stefan usually carries,
    and i knew ...
    leave it to your big brother
    to nudge someone
    to delight your heart!
    rekindle your spirit~
    con carino, be good

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my amiga nearby too! Miss you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. im thinking of you leste. in Chicago. ahh the life of me!

    ReplyDelete