02 June 2009

Bishop Dunne follows me to Uganda

The head sister here at St. Theresa Girls had been telling me about her relative who was returning to Uganda for the final burial rites for her mother. Sister told me that this relative also lived in Texas and in fact had been there for almost 40 years. Sister told me that she would introduce us so we could talk about my American home.

This Texan relative came by for a visit today and we talked warmly about Dallas; she lives in Mesquite. I didn't mention too much about Oak Cliff, cause Mesquite's kinda far. She wouldn't know Hampton n' Illinois, or Kiest Park, let alone Glenfield.

I told her i was from Oak Cliff and she said she knew it well since her job took her there quite often. "Wow" i thought. What a small world. Then i told her i lived on Glenfield and "Wow" again cause she often worked on that very home-town street of mine!

We chatted for a bit longer about her stay in Uganda, about her son who is at University in New York, about my adjustment here... "Oh yes i love Uganda." "Its also nice to meet you." "We will meet again." Then the words that made my heart beat almost out of my chest. "My son went to Bishop Dunne."

WHAT!!!!?

I almost shouted, cried, laughed and sat down all at the same time. Thankfully i just clapped my hands and shouted out. I grabbed her hand (probably to steady myself) and said very calmly "That is my school. I went to school there and i also worked there. What year did your son graduate? What! I know him AND that's when my little brother graduated! What! You thought you had recognized me? WHAT! You know my mom?!!!!!" (And that's when i almost did the shout/cry/laugh/sit thing again.)

And Sister and the others who were with us felt the joy. I mean, i was flyin'. So "hey" from here Bishop Dunne, Oak Cliff, Dallas, Texas. I always knew there was something special about our school.

All my excited love and joy!
Celeste

3 comments:

  1. i am sure you are still in the clouds! i got excited, just feeling your joy. Oh, if we had only known. i am sorry for her loss, hopefully will be able to tell her personally! To think, so far away, yet so close~only four inches on the map!!!did you feel our love? yeah, i know. con mucho carino, be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I just messaged Joe. smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Celeste- Wow!! It's great that you have a little piece of home! Take Care Mija! Everyone sends their Love. XOXOX TIA

    ReplyDelete