21 March 2009

March days

Today we were given the opportunity to visit the Kasubi Tombs, a place just outside of Kampala where three Buganda kings are buried. It is a historical site that is still being used. The descendants of certain tribes are in charge of different aspects of the upkeep of the grounds and in the center of the grounds is the largest grass-thatched roof building in the world (maybe.) The building was so interesting even from the outside where the roof was very tall and reached fairly close to the ground. The inside is dark and clay-red. They covered the walls and poles with the “skin of a fig tree” and this bark made it seem like a living home.

This week we had a mock language exam and it was a little tough to try and “prepare” for but we all made it through and glad to be on the other side. Its given me a good perspective of how far we’ve come and how far we will be going before the end of training.

I think studying here is so tough because I am trying to constantly adjust. I know that won’t always be the case, but I think it is unconsciously tiring to always be aware of differences or to always have very tiny irritations that some days just seem to build up. There is nothing that is overwhelming though and with the help of the other trainees and the trainers support, the adapting is much easier.

Not to mention the beautiful weather and country. It really is a pleasure to ride my bike up some crazy hills when I get to see the views from up top. Absolutely worth it.

I'm pretty sure the extremely positive attitude is coming from the pizza and milkshake i had for lunch.. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Celeste we are glad you had time to visit the Kasubi Tombs- it sounded so interesting! Lucas says to keep studying-it will get easier the longer you're there. Tio Vincent sends his love as do I, and Welita sends a big XO and many prayers. We Love you! Take Care! TIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Sounds like you are discovering everyday. I'm jealous. Teach those kids about Texas. Good luck with the native tongue. My Spanish is now a travesty. Buen viaje!

    -Byron

    ReplyDelete
  3. great description! The Kisubi Tombs have their own website. As I was looking at the pictures I felt as if I had my own personal tour guide, a la 'Stefan. Nice. I guess "made it through" is -you passed. Yay! Se te va soltar la lengua! I wish you many more milkshakes and pizza! con carino, be good~the matre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matre! Tia! Tell welita i said hello and am giving her a big big hug!! LOVE love LOVE.
    I heart you.
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete